Friday, August 17, 2007

Courtney

Today is Courtney’s last day. I hardly knew here and seldom talked to her. But we’re having farewell drinks for her at 4 p.m.

I also saw Doug talking with Vanessa on my way to the washroom. It scares me when I see bosses talking to workers in private. Such things remind me of my getting laid off in one company. I still remember my boss wanting to talk to me privately in his office. Prior to that, he was circling the office floor like a vulture eyeing for carcasses. And in one fell swoop, my career was over.

Maybe I was just getting paranoid, especially when Julita gave me the look like she knew something I didn’t. Because back in my old company, I was the last one to know, though I had received early warnings from co-workers I worked closely with.

Also, knowing that my probationary period ends next week didn’t help either because there was always the possibility that they could let me go before I reached my three months.

No comments: