Thursday, November 20, 2008

Spoke Too Soon Again

I was bugging Tonie concerning the approval of my remaining seven days of vacation leaves because one was scheduled on Friday and on Monday, a four-day-long weekend for me. Unfortunately, she didn't have the answer yet for me when I called her on Wednesday. So, I asked her what dates she wanted me to take. She wasn't sure of them either because deadlines and priorities changed on a daily basis. Finally, in disgust, she said to take my vacations when I wanted them. That's fine by me, but now I had this guilty conscience. How was I supposed to enjoy my breaks when I felt I had let the team down?

Minutes after talking to Tonie, Wendy pulled a chair and discussed with me my leaves. She said that they could guarantee that my remaining vacations wouldn't be forfeited next year, that I could use them in January or February. It was a good deal because I won't be doing anything at home anyway with my Xbox 360 having a general hardware failure (which gamers affectionately call the "Red Ring of Death"). Besides, I was planning to visit my parents in Asia in the summer and I needed extra vacation days.

So, I won't be taking any leaves from now until our office closes on Dec. 23 for the Christmas holidays.

No comments: