Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Then There Were Three Again

It was one week ago today when Wendy told me the bad news. I knew right then and there that I was being laid off that day. No one in the office knew about this, not even Wendy.

I was planning to leave the company anyway, but not until I found a better job and until I saw what the company profit-sharing was all about since I was eligible in January 2010. However, they beat me to it. Now, I'm back at home pounding the keyboard for job opportunities. And I did get a reasonable separation pay that was good for six weeks, even though I was only entitled to receive 2
½ weeks' worth of pay.

As soon as I finished reading my walking papers, I grabbed a box to put my personal stuff in there, like my action figures, books, water bottles and picture frame. To save me from embarrassment, Wendy had the box shipped home.

After signing the release form, I hugged Wendy and asked her to say goodbye to the other Wendy and Cathy for me. Then I looked outside my window for the last time while putting on my jacket. It was a cold, wet and dreary day.

I grabbed my bag, waved goodbye to Wendy and headed out the door.

No comments: