Tuesday, April 1, 2008

They're Ganging Up on Me!

It all started last Thursday at 4 p.m. Jennifer approached me for another project of hers that she wanted me to do for her team. As usual, it was something I knew nothing about, such as brand positioning, brand pyramid and the like. How would I know those terms when I am simply a proofreader who's trying to be a copywriter?

Anyway, I tried my best to decipher the marketing jargon she used with the little backgrounder she gave me. I probably spent more than two hours working on the project. Of course, I was forced to work late again.

The next day, the Dragon Lady followed up on the status of my work. I told her that I was working on it until Liza gave me something to proofread, which was more important. After lunch, she called me and wanted to see my work. There was no avoiding the office bully this time.

Like always, the stuff I did was wrong. So, I asked her if she could give me a pattern that I could use and follow. Unfortunately, none was available. Even the stuff she gave me the day before was wrong, too. Worse, even the work her team did was also wrong. If everyone was wrong and she was always right, she should do it herself then.

True to form, I tried to redeem myself by revising my work. An hour into my revision and Patrick and Liza started to bug me if I was done with it. I wasn't known to hand over half-assed projects, but they were asking for it. So, I gave my unfinished job to them and let the suits worry about it. (One thing that also pissed me off was when Patrick asked me to do some research for his part of the project. I said no.)

Nina did her part of bugging me, too, but she was more considerate and respectful. She wasn't the type who just barges in with a request.

No comments: