Wednesday, October 10, 2007

A Long One for a Long Day

On my way to work, I smelled a familiar aroma like fried dried squid. On a cold, rainy day, pusit, as it is called in the Philippines, served with garlic fried rice makes a great breakfast. Yummy!

As expected, today looked like one of the quiet ones that marked my early days here in the company.

Sharon, my predecessor, dropped by to say hi to everyone. Apparently, it was quiet on her side, too, as a freelance proofreader; so, she decided to pay us a visit and drop off some old client files. She regretted giving up her spot here in the company now that she didn’t have any contract work. (No wonder she sounded happy when I said that I plan to take some time off before or right after the Christmas holidays; she would get to cover for me when I’m away.)

One hour before closing time, I decided to take a break from my all-day surfing and grab some apple juice. I caught up with Rob, who was checking out the renovations on the other side of the floor. Like the rest of the creative team, he couldn’t believe my new work station was far away from them. Me neither.

I guess whoever wanted me to be there thought that I needed the quiet to proofread — right by the copier/printer and the fire exit. My new work area is a far cry from my temporary offices. All three had views; this one didn’t even have a window!

And wonder of wonders! As I was preparing myself for my sleepy ride home, I received an e-mail from Charlene to proofread a client’s microsite. I like proofreading, but proofreading something online is difficult and labour intensive: I have to do some screen captures, indicate the corrections by PowerPoint, convert the slides to JPEG format and insert them in Word, where I put my revisions in writing. Of course, this was a rush job and I had to stay an extra hour just to finish everything.

No comments: