Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Back to Square One

I've learned my lesson well from my last lay-off.

Two months before I got the boot in October 2006, I said to myself that I wouldn't survive another round of lay-offs. I didn't take any action, not even looked for another job while I still had one. What was I thinking? I knew right then that no amount of loyalty would save me from impending unemployment. Eventually, I ended up going to the Employment Office and applying for unemployment benefits.

This time, I'm looking out for No. 1, even though it means going back to square one: updating my résumé.

I spent some time this morning looking for work at craigslist.org. Surprisingly, there were job opportunities for writers and editors that caught my attention. I'll start applying for these jobs as soon as I can.

And out of the blue, a headhunter called me up in the afternoon! Unfortunately, I couldn't entertain the call right away because Julita was a few metres behind me cleaning up Amanda's desk. The opening was for a marketing copywriter for a construction office in downtown. I promised the headhunter that I would send her my updated résumé along with some samples of my work.

Regarding my offer to help with the copywriting, I wasn't sure if Jim liked the idea. He just said via e-mail that he would talk to me tomorrow (which is today) about this. So, knowing Jim, it would take a while.

No comments: