Thursday, May 22, 2008

Happy First Anniversary!

It was one year ago today when I entered the doors of the company as an employee. I still remember the stuff I wore on my first day: an off-white polo shirt with a winged ornamental print ($20, from Winners), on top of which was a light-grey blazer (sale price: $40, from RW & Co.). My jeans were brand new ($50, from Tiptop Tailors) but had that worn or distressed look. I also wore my favourite brown Cole-Haan shoes ($200).

The first person I saw was Deb, who looked testy at first, but she turned out to be very sweet, kind and thoughtful. She was also the office's supplier of homemade fudge and banana loaf. Kayla was already there because she was the receptionist. Julita soon popped out of her office, greeted me and showed me to my office. It was a corner office with a view of the city streets and the sea.

Then Julita introduced me to the rest of the company. Most were on vacation; after all, it was almost summer. The more memorable introductions were with Doug and Belinda. When I was introduced to Doug, we shook hands — and he continued to do so while talking to Julita about another office matter. I felt awkward that I had to let go of my grip and pull my hand off of his.

When I was introduced to Belinda (and Courtney, her partner in crime), the first thing she said was, "Ah, the new guy." I wanted to reply, "Yep, the first one who'll get blamed for all office troubles." But my words didn't come out exactly as I thought. Instead, I said, "Fresh meat." All were taken aback by my reply, including me.

After making the rounds, I went back to my very own office, not a cubicle or work station or pod, but a real office with real walls and windows and a door. (I'd find out later on that this was all temporary.) I filled in the required forms regarding insurance, contact details, contracts, etc. I also found out that my business cards were on its way and that there were free pop, juice, coffee and tea in the kitchen. I was so excited working for the company that when I left for home, there was a grin on my face like the Cheshire cat's.

However, a lot has changed since then. Just read my blogs in the last 12 months. (I was off yesterday, taking a three-hour-long test for that Publications Manager position. What a nice thing to do on the eve of my first year in the company.)

No comments: