Tuesday, May 27, 2008

I'm Running Out of Things to Do

It's 2 p.m. Do you know where my work is?

Another day of ennui. I spent the morning checking out online job sites, writing a cover letter and résumé for a job opportunity I found yesterday, and sent several e-mails unrelated to work.

I bumped into Mark, the IT guy, in the washroom. He wondered if we were doing anything at all in the office. I was speaking for myself when I told him that I wasn't looking forward to coming to work lately because I knew that I'd be spending the next 8½ hours doing nothing.

I also told him my fears about the company handling IT issues internally come July. (Mark only worked for the company that we hired for IT support and infrastructure.) I added that it could be a sign of things to come, like plans of closing the office permanently and letting the guys in Toronto handle everything in the near future.

Then we talked about how things were different back then. Mark said that when he was first assigned here, there were 45 people working in the office. There's only eight of us now.

No comments: