Tuesday, June 3, 2008

One Secretive Guy

Even though Rob and I are the only men in the office, we don't talk to each other much. However, he opens up once in a while, like when I asked him how his son was doing (he has a hearing defect) or his opinions on the latest video games. I found out he enjoys playing Rock Band, Gears of War and Grand Theft Auto IV.

But when it comes to more personal matters, such as job interviews, he's silent about it. Like one time, he came late to the office. Though he normally wears black Adidas runners with his black jeans and black shirt and carries a black backpack, he was wearing black Doc Martens and lugging a soft-side briefcase (which was black, too). I knew somehow from the day before that he was going to an interview.

Yesterday, he left an hour early, saying that he had to pick up his amplifier from a repair shop. However, he was wearing the same attire as above and carrying the same bag, inside of which was his portfolio. (I knew it was his portfolio because he showed it to me once.)

I didn't bother asking him today how was his amp because I didn't want him to lie to me. Of course, my observations could be wrong; but it made me realize that when Rob leaves before I do, I will be in a very precarious position. There's always the possibility that the company can move all the productive and creative work to Toronto, leaving me jobless.

I'm trying to avoid that situation.

No comments: