Friday, June 6, 2008

Updates

On Wednesday afternoon, we closed the office early for a team outing to a design exhibition at the Vancouver Museum. Rob was kind enough to give Charlene, Nina and me to the venue. Julita and Shelley were already there when we got there. Wendy wasn't able to make it and so was Jennifer, who had to make another business call.

After checking out the exhibits, Rob and the ladies proceeded to a watering hole five minutes from the museum. I didn't go with them because I wasn't feeling well. I thought I was coming down with intestinal flu. Besides, I had to leave right away because I had to prepare for my interview the next day.

I wasn't planning to actually get sick; just fake it, call in sick and go to the interview. However, I was already having some tummy trouble early Wednesday morning. In fact, I had to go to the toilet three times. The first was at home and it felt normal. The second was as soon as I got to the office. I just felt this strong urge to go to the washroom. Man, what a rush!

The third was in the afternoon and it was loose. In fact, it was so loose that I had to take a double dose of Imodium. It's been a while since I crapped like that. And I felt like crap the next morning, which posed a problem because I had a big interview and I wanted to make a good first impression.

In spite of what I felt, I soldiered on. I practised my answers to the interview questions, which were actually e-mailed to me a day in advance. Rehearsing my responses, I lost track of the time and had to take a quick shower. I already chose the suit, the shirt and the shoes that I was going to wear the night before. I didn't wear a tie this time because I didn't know how to do a Windsor knot. Nevertheless, I still looked professional.

I believe the interview went well. I learned from them that I scored the highest in their assessment exam and that was the reason why they invited me for an interview. On my way out, they asked for my list of references and wondered when could I start working for them if I get hired. These were definite signs that they wanted me in fast or they could be simply going through the motions. Anyway, they also said that they still had several candidates to interview, but they would be making a decision next week.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed. It's my ticket out of here.

No comments: